Avatar

Yahoo! Avatars

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thing 22: Explore Social Networking

Facebook is something that I have open almost all the time! Even now, while typing this blog, Facebook is open in another tab that I can switch back and forth between any time I want!

Today's students are just the same as me! They are on the social networking sites any time they are able to be! This is their open line to communication with friends not only for social reasons, but I have had several of my students tell me that they were able to get help from a friend on their homework through these sites. We not only need to know what technology is out there, but we need to be familiar with the terms that they see on these sites when we emphasize the importance of hiding personal information. They can be told millions of times the danger involved in giving out their personal information, but until they meet someone who means something to them that also knows the terms that they see on the computer, they just brush it off!

I have used both Myspace and Facebook and I can say, in my opinion, Facebook is not only easier to use, but it has many more features than Myspace does. I have seen from experience, the way that Facebook has helped many people find jobs, not just in the education fields, but in corporate America as well. It is always about knowing someone, and the more connections you have, the better your chances are at advancing in today's economy!

1 comment: