Avatar

Yahoo! Avatars

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thing 21: Google's not just for searching anymore

I have always known that Google was HUGE, but never would have imagined it being this huge! Until about a year ago, I thought the only thing Google was, was a search engine and emails. Then throughout this past school year, I learned about GoogleDocs. This was a great tool for us to use to manage our discipline as a team. Then, during one of the first weeks of this class, we discovered the Google Reader. I was once again surprised at how easy these tools are to use. During this "Thing," I was able to play around with Google Alerts and Google Calendar. For my Google Alert, I typed in Dallas Cowboys. You are able to set it to the number of emails you receive a day, as well as how many articles are in that email (or alert). This could be very beneficial to use to find new things being posted about a particular topic in school. For instance, if I were to teach history, and wanted to know everything being posted about John Kennedy, I could set up an alert for that and receive it straight to my email! The second thing I played around with was Google Calendar. This could be very beneficial for lesson planning. Having a calendar that everyone has access to that gives just a brief explination of what is being taught that day, would help not only in writting lesson plans, but also in daily notes and assignments!

No comments:

Post a Comment