Avatar

Yahoo! Avatars

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thing 8: What in the World is a Wiki?

Being that this was my first experience with looking at Wikis, I was a bit surprised at the lack of information on the initial page. I guess after working with blogs, I almost expected to be able to see the information when I first got to the page rather than having to click on several tabs before being able to find things. There were a few wiki pages that did have some interesting information on the first page. I liked the organization of the wikis though.
I liked finding the wiki on Primary Math. Being that I teach at the middle school level, but have younger kids at home, I am always looking for fun ideas to do with my children that will enforce the importance of education. This gave me a few ideas of things to be able to do at home with my boys. The Kindergarten Counting Book was another wiki that I think will be fun to work with my sons on at home. Finding activities to use with them over the summer is always a hunt for me. Being that I am a math teacher, finding activities that have to do with numbers is something that I enjoy doing as well. Continuing with this same theme, trying to find activities to do with my children, Salute to Seuss was another fun page.
From the initial look at wikis, I think one way that I would really like to start using them is to have a place online to post notes and other things that are going on in my classroom. I would like to set one up with the other 8th grade math teachers as a place to post a set of our notes, a brief description of assignments, a calendar of upcoming tests or projects, as well as other events that are happening throughout the school. This would be a great resource for parents in that they would be able to know if their child has homework as well as when they need to be studying for tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment