Avatar

Yahoo! Avatars

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thing 10: Creative Commons

I can honestly say that at this point, I have never noticed the CC logo on any website that I have looked at. It is probably mainly because I didn't know where to look. This is something that I am going to start looking for as I search the internet for information. I think that it is very important to discuss copyright and CC with our students. They need to know the difference but they also need to know importance of completely understanding what both of them mean. They need to understand that just because they see CC, that does not mean that the information is free reign to take and use as they want, but that it is there to use as a base for them to add to and improve the information. I have used images as well as video in my classroom. To be honest, I don't know that I have ever paid attention to the copyright connected to them. This will definitely be something that I will start paying attention to immediately though! I have shared a few of my lessons and flip-charts through the online library of flip-charts called Promethean Planet. While this CC sounds great, there are still some dangers involved. I am worried that telling my students about this will make them believe that they are allowed to copy anything they find on the internet or in books without paying attention to the Copyright or the CC symbols. Then I am worried that they will not make enough changes to get out of the gray area and could still possibly get in trouble for using it.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about them believing they can copy anything regardless of copyright, they already do that! Students think that if it's available to them, they can take it. If we educate them on copyright and CC, we eliminate their ignorance on the subjects.

    ReplyDelete